Monday, June 1, 2009

Teddy bears and prickly pears

That phone call last summer was the beginning of a journey to places unknown.

Sometimes I feel
like I'm walking
on a desert path
on a moonless night
with no lantern
and no cell phone.

It's slow going, lest I stumble smack into a teddy bear cholla or a prickly pear cactus.
And then there's the eerie coyote howls off in the distance that send chills up and down my spine.
What will I do if a coyote crosses my path?
What if there are two?
What if three?

Do I wave my arms wildly and holler?
Do I run the other way?
Do I drop and play dead on the desert floor?

Who could I talk to who's been there, done that?

Can I Google it and come up with anything actually helpful?

There's a wonderful song by Ira Forest Stanphill that has become very close to my heart:

I don't know about tomorrow;
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

Not to say I've managed to implement everything from this song into my life, but it gives me goals - like trying not to worry about tomorrow, or like have confidence that He's always with me, and I'm not alone in this.

To be continued...

No comments: